Monday, January 16, 2012

Value of Self-Esteem

Good article in the Washington Post this morning.
I taught for couple years. I pushed my students hard, 3 grades per day, got thru the material.
Seems still was a lot of more concern from parents (and as a result, administrators) in their children's self esteem
as opposed to their learning. Often see teachers give say 15-20 grades per semester. Would you feel comfortable with your proficiency in a subject if you only received a grade every 4 days? That's what out children are being subjected too in a system that is run by the parents and teachers too willing to cow-tow to the bosses. I'm not overly optimistic is seeing any real changes soon. Is affecting my children now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/in-schools-self-esteem-boosting-is-losing-favor-to-rigor-finer-tuned-praise/2012/01/11/gIQAXFnF1P_story.html?tid=pm_pop

No comments:

Post a Comment